May 24, 2009

Mendocino, California (Day 2)

After warming ourselves with a delicious 3-course breakfast at Agate Cove Inn, B and I head over to the nearby Mendocino Headlands State Park. We went hiking around the park (ok, maybe it was more of a leisurely walk). It was amazing to see so many wildflowers grow so close to the ocean. I loved watching the waves crash against cliffs and feeling the cold, crisp ocean breeze on my face.

I was surprised to see people swimming in the freezing ocean. It turns out there's lots of abalone in Mendocino, and they were abalone divers. I didn't know that abalone diving was legal...or maybe I just assumed that because abalone is so rare and expensive.

After walking around in the cold all morning, we drove back down to Anderson Valley in search of sunshine - such a drastic difference in climate! We did more wine tasting at Roederer Estate. I thought their sparkling wines would be really good since they are owned by the French producers of Cristal...wrong! We had a much better experience at our next winery, Meyer Family Cellars. The Meyers were the original founders of Silver Oak and sold it in 2001. Silver Oak still makes great wine, however, it is much more 'commercial' now. The son of the family, Matt Meyer, then started this winery. B and I actually talked to Matt and his wife, Karen, for a while and learned a lot about their wines. It was such a rare treat to talk to the owners/winemakers, and they were so friendly and down-to-earth! (I call it serendipity: although I rarely order syrahs, our waiter had recommended the Meyer syrah at a restaurant. The wine turned out to be excellent, and I then realized that it was also the same winery that made the beloved port that I had bought at Silver Oak several years ago...and here we are!)

After taking one of my rare naps (like I said this trip was all about relaxation!), we headed to Cafe Beaujolais for dinner. The restaurant is inside a charming, yellow farmhouse in the heart of Mendocino. Inside, the decor is simple and elegant. The sage walls were framed with white molding, and everything was illuminated by candles and the soft overhead lighting. It had the feel of an intimate, yet modern bistro. We were immediately greeted by a very friendly and inviting hostess (and no, I wasn't just buttered up by the way she and the other hostess kept complimenting my dress; everyone at the restaurant was quite friendly). Our waiter was excellent -- he recommended some fantastic wines to complement our meal, was very knowledgable about the menu, and was able to describe the preparations of the dishes and the ingredients in great detail. (Pet peeve: when I ask about a dish, and the waiter says exactly what is written on the menu)

I know this sounds bad, but I can not remember what I had for my appetizer. (This is what I get when I wait too long before I write about it! Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of it either.) I think I had the crab cakes, but it must not have been memorable since good food usually sticks in my mind. For my entree, I had the arugula-stuffed organic free-range chicken on a bed of prosciutto and asparagus hash with champagne jus. The chicken was nicely roasted on the outside and juicy on the inside. The rich flavor of the champagne jus really accentuated the taste of the chicken. The hash was good, but could have used something tart or acidic to brighten it up.

I then had the chocolate lava cake with Tahitian vanilla ice cream for dessert. Since my ears automatically perk up when I hear anything with the words "warm/lava/molten" and "chocolate cake" together, I have had this type of dessert a LOT and my bar is pretty high. This dessert was wasn't bad, but left something to be desired...it didn't have that warm, rich gooey center.
Overall, the food was good (not great), but the warmth and elegance of the ambience and staff make Cafe Beaujolais feel special.

BITE METER:
Roederer Estate - 2.0 bites (out of 5)
Meyer Family Cellars - 4.5 bites (out of 5)
Cafe Beaujolais - 3.7 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment