November 29, 2009

VOICE – Sweet Melody of Tastes

I really enjoyed my experience at VOICE. Not only was I surrounded by the company of my family, but the food was wonderful, the wine was well-balanced and great with the food (MacPhail Anderson Valley Pinot Noir – 2005 or 2006), and the staff was friendly and attentive. We had a larger party, but they seated us a corner booth in the back so it still felt cozy. The restaurant is on the ground floor of the Hotel Icon and has very open layout with high ceilings, but the dark woods, classical-modern décor, and heavy fabrics made it more welcoming and warm.

Mushroom Soup “Cappuccino” – an elegant and creative presentation of mushroom soup. The crimini mushroom soup was creamy and full of rich, earthy flavors. The fluffy texture and delicate taste of the truffle foam added a layer of complexity, while the sprinkle of porcini powder completed the inviting “cappucino’ look. With the generous portion size, I happily shared my soup with B and still had plenty for myself.


Sous Vide Duck with Spring Onions, Tokyo Turnip, Fava Beans, Caraway Sauce – the duck was beautifully cooked…incredibly tender without feeling oily or fatty like duck often can. All of the duck’s natural flavor was retained through the sous vide preparation…it was so savory and meaty, almost like the duck had been tea-smoked. I was so enamored by the duck that I can’t remember a single thing about the vegetables…this was the best duck that I’ve had in a long time.
Bryan Farms Chicken with Pearl Onions, Swiss Chard, Garlic, Pan Butter – this was actually B’s entrée but deserves honorable mention because it was so outstanding. Bryan Farms is the well-known source for high quality chicken (hormone-free, all-natural feed, air-chilled) and you can definitely taste the difference. A pool of sumptuous pan butter sauce coated the warm, juicy chicken…so good that you want to lick your lips to savor ever last bit.
Parmesan Truffle Fries – very well seasoned and crispy…I can’t think of anything better to put on French fries than parmesan cheese and truffle oil. Needless to say, I greedily devoured these tasty sticks.
Warm Chocolate Cake & Crunchy Vanilla Ice Cream – It was good, but not exceptional. This is such a common dessert that I wish they had put a bit of a twist on it or made it really shine (as they’ve done with everything else). Also, I wouldn’t call ice cream “crunchy” if it’s just sitting on a bed of crumbs. Regardless, it was still a well executed dessert – moist chocolate cake with a sweet, molten center. (Disclaimer: My sweet tooth overpowered my brain so I accidentally took a few bites before taking the picture. Oops!)
VOICE takes simple ingredients and presents them in their best form, showcasing their true flavors. Their food is refined and focused. (Note: The only dish of the evening that wasn’t successful was my sister’s halibut and pasta dish…the halibut was oddly fishy and dry. So don’t order that if you go to VOICE.)

BITE METER: VOICE – 4.0 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment