November 30, 2009

Max’s Wine Dive – What Happened to Attention-to-Detail?

While I like the “gourmet comfort food and wine” concept of Max’s Wine Dive, their food still leaves something to be desired. Last time, I tried their fried chicken and Kobe beef burger (among many other things), but wasn’t really wowed. This time I went for brunch so I could have their signature fried egg sandwich…

The description on their menu reads: three pan fried eggs drizzled with truffle oil and Maldon sea salt, topped with three slabs of apple wood smoked bacon and Veldehuizen gruyere, organic bibb lettuce, hot house tomato, and black truffle aioli – all sandwiched between two pieces of artisan sourdough and served with hand-cut chips

Sounds good, right? Unfortunately, there was a big misstep from concept to execution. They failed by making the sandwich way too oily and didn’t have the correct proportion for the ingredients. My bread was soggy…not something you want went it’s brimming with stuff on the inside. So of course, it fell apart as I ate it. If there are already so many oily components to the sandwich (bacon, fried eggs, cheese, aioli), why not just toast the bread instead of grilling it on butter? Amidst all that grease, the bacon was the only ingredient that I could really taste. The sandwich needed more acidity/tomatoes to cut the grease, and the subtle gruyere and truffle flavors were lost. While the potato chips were nicely seasoned, they were also drenched and glistening with oil…what’s so hard about draining off the extra oil?! This had the potential to be a great meal, but it wasn’t due to simple mistakes. They need to put more care into making the food.

To sum it up, this was like a greasy sandwich that I’d get at any diner…ok, maybe slightly better, but definitely not “gourmet”. One thing Max's has going for them is their HUGE portion sizes (my sandwich was at least 8 inches long) and reasonable prices (average brunch item was about $12). However, does any of that matter if I don’t care to ever eat that sandwich again?

BITE METER: Max’s Wine Dive – 2.0 bites (out of 5)

1 comment:

  1. Well, that's disappointing. I'm a total egg slut and the mention of fried egg sandwich has me drooling. I personally just lightly toast my bread in the pan after I fry up the eggs and meat of choice (ham, turkey, etc). Like you said, there's already too much grease with the egg and meat.

    ReplyDelete