June 20, 2010

Himawari – Stick with the Classics

I haven’t found any great ramen places in San Francisco, so I usually head south of the city when I’m jonesing for a large, warm bowl of ramen. Not in the mood to wait in a long line at Santa Ramen, I decided to check out Himawari which I had recently noticed on my way to Sushi Sam’s. Similar to most ramen joints, Himawari is a small restaurant with poor ventilation. The décor is a bit strange, but I was just happy I only had to wait 10 minutes for a table.

I love clam miso soup, so I thought the Asari (Clam) Shio Butter Ramen would be interesting. Sadly, the broth didn’t have any of that rich clam flavor. It was drowned in butter, and I quickly became bored of its one-note taste. The noodles were good, but didn’t have that chewy hand-made texture of those at Santa Ramen.
Lucky for me, B got a bowl of the Chasu Ramen which was MUCH better. And being the generous hubby that he is, he switched bowls with me so I could enjoy the other half of his ramen. The chasu pork was tender and meaty without being too fatty, and the broth was full of flavor and depth but didn’t feel too greasy. I also appreciated the contrast of flavors and textures provided by the strips of crunchy seaweed and pickled ginger. A well-balanced bowl of ramen!
Lesson learned - Stick with the classic pork ramen at Himawari and you’re golden.

BITE METER: Himawari – 3.5 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment