June 27, 2010

The American Grilled Cheese Kitchen – Long Wait for Soup & Sandwich

I was initially skeptical about The American Grilled Cheese Kitchen. While I love grilled cheese sandwiches, I didn’t know if a restaurant could serve one worth paying $8 for since homemade ones are so good and easy to make. And second, the whole concept of taking fast food items and calling it "creative" by adding gourmet ingredients has been way overdone. The food scene in San Francisco has been too much about taco stands, food trucks, burger joints, and pizza places for far too long. I’m ready for something new and innovative to excite me again and show what a great culinary city this is!! Come on, people!

Anyways, I digress…back to The American Grilled Cheese Kitchen. There was a long and very slow moving line in front of the restaurant (they only have one register and are working on getting another one). At least the staff was friendly and apologetic about the wait.

I ordered their special which included a small Mousetrap Sandwich (Tillamook sharp cheddar, havarti, and monterey jack cheeses) and a cup of Smoky Tomato Soup with crème fraîche. Simple yet tasty. I thought the tomato soup was actually better than their grilled cheese sandwich. The soup was layered with nice flavors, comforting, and relatively light. And in my opinion, a necessary complement to the thick, crusty bread.


B and I also split the Jalapeño Popper Sandwich. It was interesting with the bacon, goat cheese, and apricot-jalapeño chutney, but I preferred the simple grilled cheese with the tomato soup.

Since it had taken so long to get through the line, I figured I also might as well try one of their desserts while I’m here. And as a gal from the South, I always get excited when I see bread pudding on a menu. Their Sweet Buttermilk Bread Pudding with bourbon-butter sauce was delicious. What I enjoyed most was how moist the bread pudding was and how the buttermilk formed these delicate flan-like pieces on top. Makes my mouthwater just thinking about it!


So was the grilled cheese sandwich worth the 8 bucks? Only of it’s served with the tomato soup.
Was it worth the 45 minute wait? No, very few things are with so many options in SF.
Will I come back? Maybe, but only after they get another register.

BITE METER: The American Grilled Cheese Kitchen – 3.0 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment