September 21, 2010

85C – Happiness Baked

Simply put, the baked goods at 85C are to die for! Sigh, I can’t stop thinking about their milk pudding roll…moist and buttery on the outside, filled with creamy, milk custard on the inside. Pure happiness in a roll…the *BEST* Asian pastry I’ve ever eaten. (Make sure to eat it right away while it’s still fluffy)
85C originated in Taiwan. The Irvine location is their first in the U.S. and already has a cult following. This is the first time I’ve seen a line outside an Asian bakery. Fortunately, the line moved pretty quickly, and they limited the number of people inside so it wasn’t a crowded madhouse.
Since there’s such a high demand, 85C continuously bakes their items throughout the day (instead of just in the morning like most places), so everything is literally fresh out of the oven. Even so, they had already run out of taro buns (one of my faves) and the next batch wouldn’t be ready for another 2 hours. Darn, I really wanted to try their version…I’m sure it would’ve been heartbreakingly good. Regardless, there was still a large selection of breads, buns, and pastries…and like everyone else, we piled our trays high with goodies. Had I known better, I would’ve gotten more milk pudding buns! Their boroh (pineapple) roll was also especially scrumptious. I also ordered the sea salt coffee…interesting but not as exceptional as the pastries.
My only complaint is that 85C doesn’t have a location in San Francisco. Please expand up here soon!

BITE METER: 85C – 4.5 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment