September 11, 2009

Nodaiwa – Unagi Overload

A friend told me that I should go to Nodaiwa if I wanted to eat incredible unagi (freshwater eel), so I was excited about heading here for dinner - especially since unagi is the specialty of this 160 year-old restaurant. However, I wish I had known that I couldn’t order a simple bowl of unadon (grilled unagi over rice) for dinner - only set multi-course unagi meals were available. Initially, I thought to myself, “Hmmm...I like unagi so this could be a great, new way to experience it.” All I can say now is, “You *can* have too much of a good thing!”

Unagi Gelée & Smoked Unagi – Having only had the grilled unagi before, I enjoyed these unique preparations. Both were savory and delicious – the smoked unagi was like a denser, more oily smoked trout. (I also thought the chopstick stands were a playful touch, although I usually try not to think of what the eels actually look like when I’m eating unagi!)

Maguro Sashimi – Velvety texture and fresh, clean flavors. Little did I know that this tuna would be my only ‘break’ from unagi.

Grilled Unagi – Only lightly seasoned since it’s supposed to be dipped in the accompanying soy sauce and salt. This was unimpressive – it would have been better had the skin been slightly charred or crispy (instead of slimy), and definitely should have been served at a warmer temperature. Some black pepper would have made it more interesting.

Unagi Chawanmushi – By far the best part of the meal, this steamed egg custard was rich and flavorful. The small salty pieces of unagi complemented the silky egg custard.

Unadon and Miso Soup – This bowl of sweet glazed unagi over rice was what I had originally come here for, but I was sadly disappointed after it finally arrived. There was nothing special about this unagi – it didn’t taste any different than the standard ones I’ve had in the U.S.

Needless to say, I was tired of eating unagi by the end of the meal. It was complete unagi overkill. Given Nodaiwa’s reputation, I was shocked that their traditional grilled unagi dishes were so average. Although I liked some of the food, I would not recommend this restaurant – not worth the menu price (~$100 USD/person) and the main course was disappointing.



BITE METER: Nodaiwa - 2.0 bites (out of 5 bites)

No comments:

Post a Comment