May 09, 2009

Arriving in Paris

A warm greeting and prompt check-in are always appreciated after a long flight – and that’s precisely what I got at the Westin Paris. The staff was very friendly and helpful throughout my stay. The hotel had an easy elegance - contemporary European décor, and the purple and grey tones gave the rooms an understated yet luxe feel.

Location, location, location – Overlooking the Jardin Tuileries, the hotel was just steps away from the Louvre, the Place de la Concorde, and the designer shops of Rue Du Faubourg Saint-Honore. It was also an easy walk to the Left Bank and cute neighborhoods like St. Germain.
After freshening up, B and I head to the famous Maison de la Truffe for lunch…my truffle heaven! They served the most amazing truffle-infused olive oil. Had I not been so jetlagged and thinking more clearly, I would have bought several bottles to take home (I’m still kicking myself with regret!) The olive oil's truffle essence slowly creeps up on you at first, and then WHAM, the truffles smack you right in the face! Sooooooo unbelievably good.
Black Périgord truffles - the black diamonds of the kitchen.
Tagliatelle with
black Périgord truffle shavings – rich, creamy sauce and the pasta had great texture. Surprisingly, I didn’t think the extra black Périgord truffle shavings really added much to the dish – perhaps my taste buds were less sensitive after having so much of the strong truffle-infused olive oil.
Langoustine risotto with white truffles – B originally ordered this dish, but we ended up switching because we both preferred each others’ entrée. Although both dishes were excellent, I preferred the more savory risotto with its slightly sweet undertone. The langoustines were small, but quite flavorful. The portion sizes of both dishes were also just right.
So far, we’re getting off to a great start in Paris!

BITE METER:
Westin Paris – 4.0 bites (out of 5)
Maison de la Truffe – 3.5 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment