September 07, 2009

Staying in Ebisu at the Westin Tokyo – Enjoyable and Convenient

For this particular trip to Japan, the location of the Westin Tokyo Hotel was ideal – just a few stops from my friend’s apartment and close to Shinjuku station for my excursions outside of Tokyo. There's also a convenient covered walkway connecting the basement level of the hotel to the Ebisu train station. Part of the JR Yamanote Line and Hibya Line, I could easily go from Ebisu to Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Roppongi, and Ginza without transferring. It takes a while to get to station from the hotel (about a 10-15 minutes) but the moving walkways help.

Like most things in Japan, the Westin Tokyo is clean and immaculately maintained. I was a little thrown off by the Italian décor though – lots of dark marble with gold accents. I had to laugh when I saw marble columns in the living area of my room…I felt like I was back at the Venetian in Las Vegas. Regardless, the room had a good layout and I enjoyed my stay. My experience with the concierge staff was mixed. They did a great job coordinating my dining reservations, but weren’t very helpful with recommendations – good thing I did a lot of my own research before the trip. [Recommendation: During a previous trip, I had an incredible experience at the Mandarin Oriental Tokyo. Depending on what part of Tokyo you want to be in, I’d highly recommend this hotel. It’s pricey, but well worth it – luxurious accommodations, excellent service and attention-to-detail, amazing views, direct access to Mitsukoshimae Station]


Westin Tokyo bedroom
Bathroom - my friend said the Japanese love the 90s look of marble and gold lighting
The hotel's bruléed banana oatmeal is the only room service item that I'd recommend. A nice way to start the day.
Ebisu is a nice part of Tokyo. It’s a little more quiet, which was nice after long days filled with crowds and sightseeing. There are also tons of dining options across the street from the hotel in Yebisu Garden Place. It was great to have so many food shops and stands (Atre Mall, bottom floor of Mitsukoshi) nearby when I needed to grab a quick snack. [Recommendation: There’s a fantastic smoothie place in the area called Smooch – the perfect thirst quencher on a warm day. The apple ginger crush was delish!!]

Yebisu Garden Plaza
The top of the Yebisu Garden Place Tower offers beautiful views of Tokyo. There are also restaurants on the 38th and 39th floors. B and I decided to have dinner at Hokkaido (on 39th floor) since we were enticed by the seafood items on their menu. We must have been craving crab that night…

Crab Fried Rice
Pot of Crab Porridge
Steamed Hokkaido King Crab - so meaty and succulent!
The food was good and totally hit the spot. And considering all the crab we ate, the prices weren’t too bad either.

Night view from top of Yebisu Garden Place Tower
Day view from top of Yebisu Garden Place Tower


BITE METER:
Westin Tokyo - 3.5 bites (out of 5.0)
Hokkaido - 3.5 bites (out of 5.0)

No comments:

Post a Comment