September 09, 2009

Day Trip to Kamakura

Only 1 hour by train, Kamakura is a great place to take day trip from Tokyo. Kamakura’s most famous attraction is The Great Buddha. I’ve seen plenty of buddhas during my travels throughout Asia, but I was completely captivated when I saw this one. It’s ENORMOUS, measuring 50 meters in height. But more impressive, was the sense of peace I felt as I admired the powerful beauty of its tranquil expression under the open sky, surrounded by lush green mountains.

It was humbling to stand in front of this massive bronze statue (see how small people are in comparison?)

Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine - founded by Kamakura's first shogun in 1063 and dedicated to Hachiman, the Shinto god of war

M, my friendly (and free!) guide, walking along the wall of sake barrels at the shrine - sake is also considered sacred in Japan. [Recommendation: KSGG is a great resource for free volunteer guides around Kamakura]

I've never seen the inside of a lotus flower before - so large and brightly colored that it almost looks fake.

Komachi is the main street in Kamakura. M and I stopped for lunch at one of the many soba restaurants along this street, and I had the *best* tempura soba I’ve ever tasted. It was sooooo good! [Recommendation: You should definitely eat tempura soba if you go to Kamakura. M told me that Kamakura is known for their soba, so hopefully all the other soba restaurants on Komachi are just as good.]

Main hall at Hasedera Temple, which houses a giant wooden statue of Kannon, the god of Mercy with 11 heads (unfortunately no photos allowed)

Restaurant nestled into the beautiful hills of the temple

View of Kamakura and the Pacific Ocean

A sad but dramatic memorial to honor the souls of lost children


No comments:

Post a Comment