May 07, 2010

ABC Kitchen - The Basics with a Jean Georges Touch

ABC Kitchen is Chef Jean Georges’ newest restaurant (making this his 9th in New York). Following California’s organic farm-to-table movement, I had expected ABC Kitchen to be good, but didn’t think it would stand out from many similar restaurants in San Francisco. I’m glad I was wrong.

The food was straightforward and rustic, but still exuded Jean Georges’ talent and mastery of flavors. I was impressed by how incredible the simplest things (like carrots!) tasted. I had been gorging myself with so much food during this New York trip that I wasn’t hungry at dinnertime, but the food was so good here that I couldn’t help but to stuff myself some more…

Peekytoe Crab Toast – this could not have been better! The crab was really fresh with just a bit of dressing to enhance its sweetness, while the dill gave it some bite. The grilled bread also had a nice crunch and smokiness.


Roasted Carrot and Avocado Salad with Crunchy Seeds and Citrus – ok, I’m not one to get excited about carrots, but these carrots were AMAZING!! Best.carrots.ever. They had so much depth and flavor, brought out by the light curry rub. All of the components of this salad tasted beautiful together, especially with zing of the sour cream. My favorite dish of the night!
Clam, Mint, and Parsley Pizza – this is the type of dish that I usually associate Jean Georges with…creative, and a fusion of exciting flavors and styles. I really enjoyed this whole wheat pizza – it wasn’t grainy or bland (as whole wheat pizzas can be), yet was still light and a treat for the taste buds…plump, savory clams and a spicy punch from the chili peppers.

Wood Oven Roasted Maine Lobster with Oregano and Lemon Vinaigrette – I had ordered this entrée because I was still jonesing for lobster after tasting N’s lobster at Le Bernardin. Although it was interesting to have a more rustic preparation of lobster and the wood oven gave the lobster a unique smokiness, I probably wouldn’t order this dish again. It tasted good, but lacked the sweetness and succulence that I love so much in lobster.
Salted Caramel-Peanut Ice Cream Sundae with Candied Popcorn, Whipped Crème Fraiche, Chocolate Sauce – now this is my kind of ice cream sundae! Fun and decadent, yet elevated to a new level by the sophisticated combination of flavors and textures. Loooooooved that salted caramel-peanut ice cream! I also adored the handmade porcelain bowl it was served in (they had lots of charming, vintage-inspired dinnerware).
In addition to the delicious food, ABC Kitchen also had great service and a unique vibe. I liked the contrast of its simple white furniture and white brick walls with the exposed wooden beams throughout the restaurant. It was modern and minimalist, yet still incorporated natural elements and felt inviting. Oh, and the restaurant is located inside a furniture store, although it definitely did not feel like it!

BITE METER: ABC Kitchen – 4.3 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment