April 20, 2010

Lafitte (Pricy Petite Portions) with a Cozy Finish at Candybar

Since our schedules have been so crazy, I decided to take B out on a date to Lafitte, which just opened this month (yes, guys deserve to be taken on dates too!). Chef Jackson Russell is best known for his underground supperclub, so I assumed the daily-changing menu at Lafitte would be an extension of his talents. Sadly, it was a big let down – the food was just ok, and some of the portions were comical. Our waiter was also too soft spoken and didn’t describe the menu items very well – perhaps he was new and was very unsure of himself. Oh well, at least we had a snug corner table to enjoy each other’s company even if we didn’t entirely enjoy the food…

Manila Clams, Lamb Sausage, & Pain de Mie – ok, I will happily pay any amount for good food but if you're going to charge $14 for FOUR small clams and a flimsy slice of bread, it better be damn good! But alas, it was not. And the phallic-looking piece of dry sausage didn't help either. The clams and broth did have a nice, spicy kick though – too bad I hardly had any bread to sop it up with. That was another annoying thing…at least serve bread with the meal if your appetizer portions are going to be so small!


Sautéed Quail with Braised Artichokes – the quail was well seasoned, but the skin had a jelly-like texture and needed more of a sear. The artichokes were overcooked. So really, all I got was one puny piece of mediocre quail….there goes another $14.
Sautéed Breast of Duck, Beet Greens, Rutabaga Puree with Brandy Whole Grain Mustard Sauce – I thought it was impossible, but they somehow managed to make duck unappetizing. This duck was unevenly cooked and rubbery. The brandy mustard sauce was decent, but not good enough to disguise the chewy duck. I did like the rutabaga puree though; it was like a lighter version of a sweet potato mash. Bye, bye $26.
Roast Loin of Pork with Fingerling Potatoes & Spring Onions – the only dish that I thought was worth the price ($24). The pork had been sous vide and was tender with an elegant flavor. The potatoes and spring onions were also nicely cooked and tasted fresh.
Needless to say, I was still hungry and unsatisfied after our meal, so I decided to take B somewhere else for dessert. No way was I going to order any more food from Lafitte!

We headed to Candybar, a “dessert lounge” (thanks for the recommendation, N!). We shared the Apple a la Mode (hazelnut crust, cream cheese filling, topped with caramel, layers of thinly sliced apples, and gingerbread ice cream)…yummmmy! It was so good, we devoured it in 5 seconds flat. The dessert was rich, sweet, and perfectly complemented by the spicy gingerbread ice cream.


Believe me, we were tempted to order another dessert but the wine from dinner had made me sleepy. There are very few dessert-focused eateries in SF and I was very happy to find Candybar. I loved it’s cozy atmosphere – part art gallery, part café, and part bar. I will definitely be back for more sweets!

BITE METER: Lafitte – 2.0 bites (out of 5)
BITE METER: Candybar – 4.0 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment