March 15, 2010

Other Side Trips from Sydney


Hunter Valley is the wine region about 2 hours outside Sydney. My mom’s not a big wine drinker (i.e. wino like me), so we didn’t spend that much time here. The area is magnificent, a rolling countryside filled with vineyards under the bright blue sky.
We stayed at the Sebel Kirkton Park Hotel . It’s a charming property, part Southern plantation home with its wraparound porches and part English country with its rose gardens. The rooms were small but quaint, each with a balcony looking out onto the manicured grounds. However, I would steer clear of the hotel’s restaurant, Infuzion, if you can help it. The restaurant served ridiculously overpriced mediocre food (~$20/appetizer, $30-40/main course). I had an overcooked, spongey crab soufflé for my appetizer, and sad, limp pasta dish for my main course. I didn't even want to try their dessert.


We also took a day trip to the Blue Mountains (90 minutes from Sydney). I had heard that the scenery was breathtaking, but the rain and clouds detracted from my experience. The oils from the eucalyptus trees give the mountains their “blue” haze.
The Three Sisters are one of the most famous rock formations in the Blue Mountains. Their formation is based on an Aboriginal legend.

BITE METER: Sebel Kirkton Park Hotel – 3.5 bites (out of 5)
BITE METER: Infuzion – 1.0 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment