August 30, 2010

Hot Doug’s – Heaven in a Bun

My heart quivered when I first heard about Hot Doug’s foie gras and sauternes duck sausage dog. It sounded too good to be true. From then on, I knew I had to make my way to Chicago and eat here before I die.

I made sure to arrive early at 11am, so the line wasn’t too long... only about a 20 minute wait. There were so many different types of hot dogs, it was difficult to choose. A friend and I were finally able to narrow it down to 3 of the specials to share (I would have ordered more but knew I had a 20+ course dinner at Alinea that night. I had to exercise *some* self control!)
The Order:
• Foie Gras & Sauternes Duck Sausage with truffle aioli, foie gras mousse, and fleur de sel
• Cognac-Infused Lamb & Pork Sausage with spinach raita and manchego cheese
• Saucisson Alsacienne Bacon Sausage with crème fraiche, carmelized onions and tomme de savoie
The Foie Gras dog was my favorite by far. It was rich, juicy and deliciously sinful with the creamy foie gras mousse. The Lamb & Pork sausage was quite good – great meaty flavor, and I especially liked the cool contrast of the yogurt from the spinach raita topping. The only dog I didn’t particularly care for was the Saucisson Alsacienne – it was too dry and salty.

Foie Gras & Sauternes Duck Sausage = Heaven in a bun!

Note: They are CASH ONLY, and make sure to check their hours online before you come.

BITE METER: Hot Doug’s – 4.0 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment