August 30, 2009

Burma SuperStar – A Fresh and Crunchy Cast

B and I went to the Oakland location of Burma SuperStar since it supposedly has the shortest wait time and has the same quality as the San Francisco location (they don’t take reservations and often have 1-2 hour waits). I was extremely hungry and concerned by the crowd outside the restaurant, but we were able to get seated after 30 minutes.

I’ve never been to a Burmese restaurant before nor have I tried the food, so I can’t comment on the authenticity (interestingly, this place was filled with a mix of granola-looking parents and hipster patrons). The interior is more open and modern than I had expected. However, it’s REALLY loud inside the restaurant. I could barely hear B, who was just sitting across the small table from me.

Tea Leaf Salad – This is their most popular dish, especially after it was featured on the Food Network. It is unlike anything I’ve had before. The fermented tea leaves and lemon juice give it a unique flavor, while the sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, split yellow peas, peanuts, and fried garlic add a powerful blend of textures and tastes. I enjoyed this salad more after taking out some of fried garlic (there was way too much and it overpowered the dish). It was quite hearty for a salad without any meat or cheese.
Rainbow Salad – Our waiter quickly listed all 22 ingredients of the salad before he mixed it table-side. Despite the many ingredients (including four types of noodles, green papaya, tofu, onions, dried shrimp), the flavors were not complex at all. I could only taste the noodles and spicy tamarind sauce, which I didn’t mind because I enjoy the tart and spicy flavors of tamarind – this salad reminded me of some dishes found in Vietnamese cuisine. I liked the slippery texture of the noodles and found flavors to be vibrant and refreshing.
Burmese Curry with Lamb – I really liked the lamb curry at first. The lamb was very tender, and the potatoes weren’t overcooked and mushy like they are in many other curries. However, the gamey flavor of the lamb became progressively overwhelming after a few bites. I’ve never had such gamey lamb before. Neither B nor I could stomach very much of this dish. The tomato sauce was also way too salty.
Black Rice Pudding – This dessert was more like a sticky rice than pudding. The coconut ice cream was sweet and thick, softening the firm black rice. The almond slivers added a nice crunchy texture.
Overall, the food was good but far from great. Aside from the tea leaf salad, there wasn’t anything special about Burma SuperStar. This place is way over-hyped. I would not wait in line for 30 minutes again to eat here – and am shocked that people would wait for 2 hours!

BITE METER: Burma SuperStar – 3.0 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment