August 01, 2009

Ogunquit, Maine

After too much time spent on airplanes the past few weeks, I decided to take a day trip to Ogunquit, Maine -- it's only a 1 1/2 hour drive from Boston. It was nice to get out of the city and be rejuvinated by the fresh ocean air. Ogunquit is a charming town right on the coast of Maine. I would highly recommend it for a casual day trip -- waterfront dining with good, well-priced seafood and a scenic walk along the coastline (Marginal Way). Our first stop was Barnacle Billy's. It was exactly what I was looking for -- a casual place where I could sit outside, munch on fresh seafood, and enjoy the view. It's located in the heart of Perkins Cove and overlooks a small dock. I started off with steamed Wellfleet clams...delicious! These clams were surprisingly large and juicy (I'd been disappointed by puny mussels and clams recently at other places. If they're not in season and you don't have a good supply, then don't serve them). Then came my lobster roll...the *best* lobster roll I've had to-date! The bun was nicely toasted, it was overflowing with fresh lobster, and the sweet flavor of the lobster wasn't overwhelmed by mayo. The fries also came out super hot and crispy, just like I like them. The only disappointing part of the meal was the crab roll, which B ordered. The crab roll was pretty bland, so I recommend you stick with the clams and lobster rolls. After lunch, we took a walk down Marginal Way. It's a cliff-top path along the rocky shore. The trail is a little over a mile long with several benches to sit and enjoy your surroundings along the way. I was surprised to see a huge, sprawling beach at the end of the path. I have found beaches in New England to be on narrow strips of sand, but this one was enormous and packed with people-- it felt like we were in Fort Lauderdale or something. I prefer the more quiet side of the path/town away from the crowds, near Perkins Cove. Tip: If you're in the Ogunquit area, you should also stop by Stonewall Kitchen. Their headquarters are in York, a neighboring town. It's fun to go through the flagship store and sample their specialty foods. I've always been a big fan of their Wild Maine Blueberry Jam. After lots of sampling, I also picked up some Red Pepper Jelly, Champagne Shallot Mustard, and Balsamic Fig Dressing -- I loved the unique and great flavor combinations of these items.

Bite Meter:
Barnacle Billy's - 3.5 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment