July 19, 2010

Pâtisserie de Gascogne – Tasty Breakfast Bites

We headed to Pâtisserie de Gascogne for a casual breakfast. B was jonesing for a croissant, I wanted to try a Montreal bagel, and we both needed our daily caffeine fix. The Laurier location (there are 2 in Montreal) had a large selection of sweet and savory items, as well as a nice outdoor seating area.

The croissant was quite tasty – light and flaky but still giving a bit of that buttery goodness with each bite.
I had heard that Montreal’s bagels were different (and some claim better) than those found state-side, so of course I had to taste one for myself. Traditional Montreal bagels are handmade, boiled in honey-water, topped with sesame seeds, and then baked in a wood-fire oven. This results in a denser, crunchier, and slightly sweet bagel. My verdict: Montreal bagels *are* better! The bagel’s firm texture was a perfect complement to the layers of cream cheese, lox, and capers inside.
By some miracle I had enough willpower to resist their sweet pastries.
BITE METER: Pâtisserie de Gascogne – 3.5 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment