May 24, 2010

Scampo – Jailhouse Rock

It may sound strange, but my favorite thing about Scampo is the building it’s in. The restaurant is inside the chic Liberty Hotel, which used to be a jailhouse - the hotel’s lobby is so cool and unique. As for the food at Scampo, it was hit and miss – but pretty good overall.

Bread Sticks w/ Fava Bean Puree – more fun than your average bread bowl
Mozzarella w/ King Crab, Cocktail Avocado & Green Mustard Oil – one of the many options from their “mozzarella bar”. I love the taste of fresh-made mozzarella, and it went really well with the salsa and avocado. However, I preferred to eat the king crab by itself, so I could better appreciate its sweet succulence. There are very few instances where seafood and cheese should be eaten together, and this wasn’t one of them. Overall, a light and refreshing appetizer.
Spinach Gnocchi Gnudi w/ Verdicchio and Squid Butter – one of the more interesting gnocchi dishes that I’ve had…like eating spinach dip in gnocchi form. It was rich but still delicate. The baby squid was super tender, and the squid butter added a nice seafood depth to the sauce. I really enjoyed this dish and would order it again.
Spaghetti Vongole – just ok. The texture of pasta was good, but this dish had way too many red pepper flakes. The spice overpowered the flavor of the clams.
Broccoli Rabe w/ Crisp Polenta Croutons – I would not recommend this side. It was way too bitter, and I didn’t want any more after the my first bite.

Pineapple Cake with Ice Cream – average

BITE METER: Scampo – 3.5 bites (out of 5.0)

No comments:

Post a Comment