June 18, 2010

Sushi Sam’s Edomata – My Favorite Sushi Place in the Bay Area

Every time I eat at Sushi Sam’s Edomata, I am filled with happiness…it’s like coming home. Their sushi is so damn good, and the people there are like family. I’ve been frequenting Sushi Sam’s for years, and am amazed that they still have new kinds of fish I haven't eaten before. Sam has contacts with top fish purveyors around the world and always has an impressive selection of high quality fish.

The restaurant doesn’t try to be fancy or trendy; it’s a laidback, family-run establishment that purely focuses on serving fresh fish in its best form. The preparation is more creative than traditional sushi, but still very much in harmony with the fish. The toppings and sauces accentuate the seafood without competing with it…and whatever you do, do not dip your sushi in the soy sauce! The chef has prepared it in the exact manner it should be eaten. Also, you MUST sit at the bar and order the omakase if you dine here. I repeat, DO NOT ORDER OFF THE STANDARD MENU! Put yourself in their skillful hands and enjoy as they wow your tastebuds with incredible sushi (the special sushi is listed on the board behind them).

Koichi and Sam - the sushi masters

I never want my meal to end when I’m here. So many tasty seafood morsels, so I just keep eating and eating…and eating...

Blue Shrimp – Firmer and more savory than amaebi. Perfect with the dash of citrus and special salt
Bonito – Super fresh with beautiful ruby color. Tastes similar to tuna, but soooo much better


Fried Blue Shrimp Heads – Like eating crispy shrimp chips!
Needle Fish – Firm texture with slight metallic finish, but not as oily as other silver fish (e.g. mackerel)
Amberjack – Clean flavor, yet meaty texture
Black Cod – Smoky char, buttery flesh, and sweet kiwi slices…love it!
Baby Lobster – Succulent lobster tail with sweet Japanese mayo and crunchy almond slivers
Baby Shrimp – Sweet little pearls of shrimp with a touch of soy and a creamy sauce
Unagi - Now this is how unagi should taste! Savory and peppery with a hot, crispy skin


Alfonsino – Firm with clean flavors, similar to other white fish but much more colorful (like plump strawberries!)

Saiwara – Cross between butterfish and tuna with slight smokiness
Baby squid – Soooo tender and scrumptious, brightened by the tangy and sweet sauce
Bonito – I couldn’t resist getting another piece :-)
Copper River Salmon – the MOST INCREDIBLE SALMON…rich and intense flavors. CRS is only in season during the summer, and Sushi Sam’s serves the best I’ve had anywhere.
Seared Toro – Always a mouth-watering delight! Slightly seared so the fish just melts in your mouth, while the salt and lemon juice helps to cut the fat
Crab – Sweet crab meat topped with rich, unctuous crab butter
And unlike many sushi places, Sushi Sam’s has their own pastry chef who always whips up new and delicious desserts. I was treated with THREE of her delectable sweets! Miso & Sesame Cake, Pina Colada Parfait, and Almond Tofu - all had a great balance of flavors and textures. What I appreciate most is that the desserts completely satisfy my sweet tooth without feeling too heavy. (I already feel heavy enough from indulging in all that sushi!)
Despite the fact that Sushi Sam’s is located in San Mateo (~30 minutes south of San Francisco), it’s usually packed with a crowd of people waiting outside (yes, it is *that* good). So I’d recommend coming on an off night if you can. The fish will still be just as fresh and mind-blowing…especially their bonito, seared toro, and of course, the Copper River salmon when it’s in season!

BITE METER: Sushi Sam’s Edomata – 4.5 bites (out of 5)

2 comments:

  1. Did you go there again? :) OK I have to agree that Sushi Sam's is better than Ino --- when we go with YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know me better than to ask that...of course! Gotta get my eat on while it's still copper river salmon season! :-9

    ReplyDelete