March 05, 2011

Ramen Dojo – Sans Slurp

Why do I always find myself driving down to San Mateo for good ramen? With gas prices so high, I wish there were better options in the city.

Ramen Dojo is a tiny place with about 7 tables and a few seats along the counter. Thus, there is inevitably always a line. And the service is inefficient, so the line tends to move slowly. The same person takes the orders, handles the bills, and calls the names on the lists…and often not in the most practical sequence. I try not to get too annoyed as I watch empty tables waiting to be filled while she does other stuff, then slams the kitchen when she seats everyone all at once.

Fortunately, I forget about the wait as soon as my big beautiful bowl of spicy miso ramen arrives. The noodles have the perfect amount of chewiness, and the tender slices of pork just fall apart in my mouth. The quail egg, garlic cloves, and green chives enhance the rich ramen…and I always add a helping of their crunchy, sweet bamboo to round out the flavors. My only wish is that they put more broth in the bowl. The broth is so thick and served in such a small quantity, that it’s more like a stew than a soup you can slurp your noodles with. And slurping your ramen is proper Japanese etiquette! BITE METER: Ramen Dojo – 4.0 bites (out of 5.0)

No comments:

Post a Comment