November 15, 2009

Zuni Café – Worth the Revisit

I wasn’t particularly impressed during my dinner at Zuni Café several years ago, but I also didn’t have their ‘famous brick over chicken’ (made to order, it requires a 1 hour wait!). So when B surprised me with dinner at Zuni Café and tickets to Wicked, I made sure to have their roasted chicken this time. We had a tight schedule (5:30pm reservations and 7:30pm show time) but thanks to their efficient staff, we were able to enjoy our meal (including dessert!) without feeling too rushed or stressed about time. Since they don’t take orders for the chicken in advance, we asked the host to place our order as soon as we were seated.

I’d recommend sitting upstairs – it’s much cozier than the dining area on the ground level. Our waiter was wonderful - he did a fantastic job describing items on the menu and his recommendations were spot-on. The pacing of our courses was also well-timed, so it didn’t feel like we were waiting forever for the chicken.

Kusshi Oysters from British Columbia – What an impressive oyster selection! They had an extensive list of oysters, including kumamotos (my favorite) from 3 different regions. Our waiter suggested that I try the kusshi oysters since they are similar to the kumamotos but slightly larger and creamier…I fell in love! The kusshis were sweet and refreshing with a luscious creaminess.

House-cured Anchovies with Celery, Parmesan, and Niçoise Olives – simple, yet sublime. A perfectly balanced dish with really high quality ingredients. The anchovies were rich and oily, but not too overpowering or fishy. The parmesan provided a sharp flavor contrast, while the crunchy celery provided texture contrast. Not liking the taste of celery, I appreciated how the paper thin slices kept the flavor subtle enough for me to enjoy it.
Bellwether Farms Ricotta Gnocchi with Leeks – Heavenly pillows! The gnocchi had such an extraordinarily light and fluffy consistency – it was almost like they dissolved in my mouth. The leeks added a delicate, sweet onion flavor. The dish was buttery and rich yet also surprisingly light – needless to say, it was gobbled up in mere seconds!
Brick Oven Roasted Chicken for Two with Tuscan Warm Bread Salad – very tasty chicken…the skin was deliciously seasoned and the meat was extremely moist and tender. The warm bread salad added to the rustic and hearty feel of the dish, while the mustard greens, currants, and pine nuts rounded out the flavors and textures. I only wish the chicken had been served at a warmer temperature – not sure why it wasn't since it was made to order.
Crème Fraîche Panna Cotta with Wild Huckleberry Sauce – a great way to end a delicious meal. I was originally worried that the crème fraîche would give the panna cotta a sour tone, but instead it actually added a creamy complexity while keeping the panna cotta remarkably light. The sweet huckleberry sauce was a perfect complement. Unfortunately, I was so anxious to eat the dessert that I forgot to take a picture of it…OOPS!

I would definitely go back to Zuni Café again. This experience more than made up for my last one – this is why I believe you really have to dine at a restaurant more than once to get a true sense of a place. Although I thought the chicken was very good, I wouldn’t wait an hour for it again nor do I think it’s worth $48 (B disagrees) – I’d rather order some of the other entrees next time...or just feast on their incredible oysters!

[Btw – Wicked is EXCELLENT! It’s so fun and heartwarming. I highly recommend seeing the musical if you haven’t already.]

BITE METER: Zuni Café – 4.0 bites (out of 5.0)

No comments:

Post a Comment