December 12, 2009

Patisserie Philippe – Magnifique!

Patisserie Philippe is one my favorite places in San Francisco for dessert. The place doesn’t have a lot of character (although the folks there are nice), so I usually pick up items to take home or share.

Since I was feeling nostalgic about Paris, I decided to get some macarons – raspberry, hazelnut, pistachio, and passion fruit (not pictured because I couldn’t wait to get home before eating one!). The passion fruit and raspberry macarons were especially scrumptious. Those flavors are often too intense in desserts, so I was surprised by how well they worked with the delicate macaron. They were bright yet still mellow and smooth. Patisserie Philippe’s macarons are about 3x larger than traditional macarons, but still maintain the crisp shell and chewy almond meringue center. Although they’re not as fluffy, their generous melt-in-your-mouth filling more than made up for it.
Patisserie Philippe also makes one of the best Napoleans (aka: mille feuille) around - alternating layers of crisp, flaky pastry and luscious, sweet cream…Mmmm! I also recommend their fruit tartlet and tart tatin.

[NOTE: I’ve never had any of their savory items, so my rating is just based on the desserts.]

BITE METER: Patisserie Philippe – 4.0 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment