December 07, 2009

SF Food Wars – Holiday Fixin’s Blowout

Twenty competitors battled it out over who made the best holiday fixings. It was held at an outdoor venue on a chilly Sunday afternoon, so a lot of the food wasn’t served at the optimal temperature…regardless, I still got my fill of good eats. Some of the highlights include:

Drunken Punkin’ Puddin’ Bread – one of my favorites. It was sweet, moist, and had subtle spice notes…plus, an extra oomph on the finish from the Jack Daniels caramel sauce.
Turkey Clone Cyclone – the most creative presentation and my other favorite – who knew turkey and herb mashed potatoes in waffle cones could taste so good? It was an great combination of flavors and textures. I loved the savory and juicy turkey confit...well balanced with the cranberry's tart zip.
Great Balls of Spinach – elegant display and an interesting way to eat spinach.

Jiffy Corn Casserole – best signage and tasted like sweet, creamy cornbread

No comments:

Post a Comment