May 12, 2009

Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée – A Magical Night

I don’t even know where to begin. Simply put, this was one of the most amazing meals I’ve had in my life. The food, the staff, the ambience…everything flowed together seamlessly. It was like sitting centerstage to an elaborate and graceful waltz.
The restaurant is located inside the posh Hotel Plaza Athénée (for you Sex And The City fans, this was where the finale was filmed). ‘Glamorous’ was the first word that came to mind as I walked into Restaurant Alain Ducasse. I was dazzled from the very beginning by luxuriously chic décor and the huge glittering chandeliers which were further amplified by delicate strands of crystals hanging from the ceiling. We had a cozy corner table with a view of the entire dining room - which also made it easy for me to discreetly take photos of the food. :-)

Despite being such a lavish restaurant, the vibe was neither stuffy nor rigid. The staff was very professional and attentive, yet still amiable. They made us feel quite comfortable although we did not speak French. They even praised me when I tried to answer them in the few French words I did know.

When I saw their champagne cart, I thought “Wow, this must be *the* champagne cart that all other restaurants have been trying to emulate!” It was enormous and elegant, overflowing with champagne bottles…how could we resist not starting off with some fine bubbly?! The sommelier also recommended a phenomenal burgundy to accompany our meal (I wish I had written the name down). The wine was complex and had so many layers, yet still delicate and silky. Bordeaux style wines have always been king to me, but now I wonder if it’s because I haven’t had the right pinots. Now onto the Chef's Tasting Menu…

Steamed Langoustines with Iranian Osetra Caviar and Langoustine Consommé – PERFECTION. I turned into a pool of happiness as I ate this dish…could this dinner possibly get any better?? (Fortunately, yes!) The langoustine was sweet and delicate, perfectly balanced with the salty, blissful bursts of the caviar. The consommé was smooth and warm. What I loved most about this dish was although the ingredients were quite indulgent, the flavors stayed clean and focused.
Warm Preparation of Asparagus and Sea Spider Crab – The frothy crab foam added a fun and light touch to the asparagus. Although I couldn’t see it, I could taste the wonderful crab flavor in the fluffy, airy foam. Cold Preparation of Creamed Asparagus and Sea Spider Crab – I really enjoyed eating this dish – digging into the creamy asparagus pudding and finding the sweet, succulent crab meat at the bottom…a buried treasure.
Roasted Blue Lobster in Spicy Curry Sauce – What a feast for the eyes (and lips)! I was captivated by the bold colors – never have I seen such vibrant red in lobster before. This dish also contained a myriad of different tastes and textures. One would think with so much going on, this dish could be muddled or overwhelming, but each component enhanced the other – the meaty roasted lobster, drenched in rich curry sauce, sprinkled with thin, crunchy coconut slides and tiny tapioca pearls, garnished with crispy fried Thai basil – a wonderful medley! (Btw, this was totally different than the lobster curry entree I had at miX, Ducasse’s Las Vegas outpost. The food there wasn’t bad, but is eons away from meeting the standards of its big brother). Just when I think I am done being wowed, Sébastien wheels over a beautiful silver cart with a whole chicken. Now I’ve enjoyed many tableside preparations before, but never has chicken been special enough to be featured. (I later learned that Bresse chicken is a highly coveted breed of chickens only raised in France). Sebastien is a pro with the carving knife and deftly slices up the breast for us. Bresse Chicken Fricassée, Sweetwater Crawfish, and Spring Vegetables – Never have I had such incredible chicken in my life! It’s hard to describe because this was unlike any other chicken that I’ve ever had, the flavors were so uniquely clean and pure. It was served at just the right temperature, leaving the meat deliciously moist and juicy. The skin was also perfectly roasted and well seasoned. Although the crawfish and vegetables were on the side, they were just as tasty as the chicken. Growing up near Louisiana, I’ve been spoiled by a lot of fresh crawfish, but I have to say it has never been as sweet and succulent as it was in this dish. The dark meat of the Bresse Chicken in pureed baby peasThis is the mother of all cheese carts. There were at least 40 different cheeses under the enormous glass dome. I loooooooooove cheese and felt like a kid in a candy shop…so many cheeses, so hard to chose. [Clearly my wine consumption has affected my ability to focus the camera.] Aged Comté, Munster-Géromé, Fourme d’Ambert Blue, Triple Cream Brie – Although I was kindly encouraged to have as many cheeses as I wanted, I restrained myself and chose four (plus I knew I could taste the cheese selections that B picked as well). I don’t know if it was because the cheese was unpasteurized, or because it was from France, or because it was on the Alain Ducasse cart…perhaps all three, but my goodness, it was the BEST CHEESE EVER! They were also served with these magnificent olive rolls which further enhance the taste of the cheeses. In addition to the cheese course, we also had a procession (yes, a whole procession) of desserts. Thank goodness I always have an extra stomach for dessert.

Petite Lemon-Crème Filled Cakes – The tangy lemon was a nice way to wake up our palates after rich cheese. Fried Crisps with Passion Fruit Syrup, Chocolate and Coffee Macaroons – The fried crisps were unbelievably light and airy. I only like macaroons when they are made just right, and these did not disappoint…slightly crispy on the outside and sublimely thick and moist on the inside. The coffee macaroons were especially tasty.
Wild Baby Strawberry, Panna Cotta and Coconut Shortbread Parfait – This dessert looks simple, but there was such extraordinary depth to all the flavors!! By far, my favorite dessert of the evening. Rich coconut folded in sweet strawberries and creamy panna cotta…absolutely divine. Wild Baby Strawberry Tart – The sister dish to the parfait with a similar flavor profile, but different textures. The baby strawberries were so cute and surprisingly sweet and juicy. Raspberry and Dark Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Ice Cream – This dessert was good, but probably the least interesting to me. Chocolate Soufflé – A perfectly made soufflé…a delicate outer shell with sweet, fluffy goodness on the inside. What really stood out about this soufflé was how refined its flavor and texture was.
Although I didn’t take a picture of it, I have to mention their tea cart. It contained several live plants about 1-2 feet high. And depending on what type of tea you ordered, they would snip certain leaves from the cart and specially brew it for your tea – this restaurant is seriously over the top!!

The candy cart was tempting, but I was so full that I only had room for their house-made marshmallow. Before we knew it, 4 hours had flown by and we were the last ones in the dining room…I didn’t want the night to end! This meal has redefined so many things for me and heightened food to a whole newlevel. I was constantly being blown away by the presentation and the execution of each course, savoring every single minute of it….all 240 of them. Thank you to the staff at Restaurant Alain Ducasse (and my wonderful husband!) for making this night so memorable.


BITE METER: Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée - 5.0 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment