September 18, 2010

230 Forest Avenue - Upbeat Eats in Laguna Beach

B and I flew down to SoCal to visit our friends that recently moved to Laguna Beach. After grabbing sunset cocktails on a rooftop bar, we headed to 230 Forest Avenue for dinner. Located in Laguna’s town area, the restaurant has an energetic yet easygoing atmosphere. The staff is friendly, and our waiter surprised us with a free chocolate croissant bread pudding when he saw that my friend’s birthday had just passed (Yes, they actually carded us when we ordered wine. I’ll take that to be a complement, thank you). The California-inspired menu had many seafood items, but I decided to order something more hearty since I was so hungry…little did I know how big their portion sizes are!

Tenderloin Stroganoff with White Truffle Oil – the intoxicating smell of truffles permeated our table as soon as my enormous entree arrived….how I do love truffles! Although I couldn’t really taste truffles in the dish, its essence was strong enough to give the stroganoff a luxurious flair. I enjoyed the rich sauce with the dollop of crème fraiche and the thick egg noodles, but the meat was a tad overcooked.
Overall, I liked the restaurant, and everything I tasted was good (I also sampled everyone else’s food, of course!) A great place to dine at when catching up with good friends.

BITE METER: 230Forest – 3.5 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment