February 13, 2010

BIX – An Oldie But Goodie

I have always liked BIX but haven’t been in several years, so I was delighted when B surprised me with reservations as a start to our Valentine’s weekend. BIX has been around for over 20 years, and there’s still no other restaurant like it in San Francisco. Hidden in a small alley, entering BIX is like going back in time. The restaurant is a throwback to the supper clubs of the 1940’s and creates a swanky, jazz lounge mood with its dark mahogany walls, plush booths, and tuxedo-dressed waiters.

Steak Tartare – still *THE BEST* steak tartare I’ve ever eaten. It’s meticulously prepared table-side with a medley of shallots, capers, and mustard, and served with slices of black olive toasts. It’s meaty but light and satiny, and the flavors are fresh and vibrant.


Seared Scallops with Butter Beans – Mmmm, butter beans. I’ve never had butter beans before and these were soft and creamy. I actually enjoyed the beans more than the scallops. The scallops were nice, but could have used more of a sear on the outside.
Black Truffle Burger with Truffle Fries – they don’t mess around with burgers here. This open-faced burger was huge with a generous layer of truffle shavings. The burger was thick and juicy, but I couldn’t really taste the truffles. The truffle flavor was actually more pronounced in the fries, which were delish! I looooooooove truffle fries dusted with parmesan cheese – seriously, one of my favorite things to eat in the world.
Bananas Foster with Dark Rum & Vanilla Ice Cream – I was surprised they didn’t prepare this table-side…must be a fire hazard. I wish they had caramelized the bananas more, but the dessert still satisfied my sweet tooth.

To sum it up, BIX is a classy restaurant serving classic food.
[TIP: Request one of the booth upstairs – it’s much cozier.]

BITE METER: BIX – 3.5 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment