March 09, 2010

Exotic Foods of Sydney’s Asian Markets


These large, brownish-purplish crustaceans are Mud Crabs (aka: mangrove crabs), which I had the pleasure of eating a few days before.
One of the largest species of crab in the world, this Tasmanian Giant Crab was literally twice the size of my head! They average 20-30 pounds each…now that is a LOT of crab meat. I will definitely have to feast on one next time I’m in Australia.
The Kona Crab is probably the strangest looking crustacean I’ve ever seen. I wonder how it tastes…although it doesn’t look very appetizing to me.
These Mangosteens were gorgeous! Bright purple and lime green, they are my mom’s favorite fruit. The inside is white and fleshy…super sweet when eaten fresh, but they turn sour very quickly if you don’t get eat them in their prime.
I first had Rambutans during a trip to Vietnam. They are funky looking, but sweet and juicy on the inside…like a larger version of the lychee fruit.
I thought these Kiwiberries were so exotic…until I later saw them at the Whole Foods in Boston (no idea how I missed them until now)! Anyways, I had never seen them before this trip and thought they were cute. They tasted exactly like a tiny kiwi.

No comments:

Post a Comment