April 15, 2010

Firefly – Like Eating at a Friend’s Home, Only Nicer

Firefly has been on my list of restaurants to try for years, but it kept slipping my mind until a coworker reminded me of it recently (Thanks, C!). I thought Firefly was really cute from the outside and was immediately enchanted as soon as I walked inside – it felt so welcoming and relaxed. And the staff was just as easygoing and kind. I felt so comfortable, like I was having dinner at a friend’s place.

And in step with their warm atmosphere, was their terrific food. Firefly serves an updated take on traditional American food. It’s down-to-earth, straightforward, and delicious. I came here to catch up with a friend, and this place was the perfect setting for long conversations over wine and food.

Shrimp and Sea Scallop Potstickers with Sesame Soy Dipping Sauce – I was a bit skeptical about this random Asian dish on the menu, but R assured me they were good…and man, was she right! The plump, thinly-wrapped potstickers were filled with moist chunks of shrimp and scallops. They had a perfect crispy sear on the outside, and filled my mouth with sweet, succulent seafood as I bit into them.


Wild Mushroom Pot Pie with Leeks, English Peas, Fiddlehead Ferns and Frisée–Pickled Shallot Salad – simply delicious. Without overcomplicating the food, I could really taste freshness of each ingredient…sumptuous mushrooms, firm peas, the crisp frisée. The pot pie was comforting, yet surprisingly light…there wasn’t a lot cream, and the crust on top was nice and flaky, but not greasy. I usually find frisée to be too bitter, but the citrus-pepper dressing and the pickled shallots kept the salad bright and tangy.
Roasted Irish Sea Trout with Asparagus, Pea Leaves, Toasted Nori and Creamy Lemon–Sesame Vinaigrette – I had a bite of R’s dish, and thought it was very well executed. The Irish sea trout was rich and meaty like salmon, and the skin side had a lovely crisp.
Fromage Blanc Panna Cotta with Poached Rhubarb and Graham Cracker Shortbread – such an understated, elegant dessert. The thick and creamy fromage blanc panna cotta had a subtle sweetness, which was enhanced by the poached rhubarb. The flavors were light and well-balanced as well as the textures.

I enjoyed my entire experience at Firefly and can see myself frequenting this restaurant. I will definitely be coming back for their Prix Fix Menu on Sundays through Thursdays - any appetizer, entrée, and dessert for only $35 / person…definitely a bargain for their high quality ingredients and spectacular food.

BITE METER: Firefly – 4.5 bites (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment